Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bringing Kids into the World


I know some people are not sure about, or even totally against, having kids because they look at the state of the world and all the problems and think "Why would I want to bring someone into this?" It's not an invalid thought. And an idea that has prompted many adoptions and fostering of children needing families, I'm sure.

But is there another way to think about it? There are a lot of horrible things in the world, and a lot of suffering people. If I have children, I would hope they would be a part of helping, being one of the good people, someone who can help others in their suffering, be another messenger of God's love. So rather than thinking, "Why would I bring somone into a world with so many problems?" I think, "Why would I not bring someone in who could make a difference to those problems?"

Not meaning I am planning on having kids as some sort of mission to save the world. But I plan on bringing my kids up to be compassionate and full of love - all of us can have a positive impact on the world. Maybe they cure a disease. Maybe they start an orphanage. Maybe they comfort a neighbour who has no family. Maybe they save a baby bird that fell out of it's nest. Maybe they become friends with just one person who is lonely. Does your heart not sing at the possibilities that life can hold, big and small, all valuable.

Which brings me to my other thought - those people who say they don't want to bring kids into the world, as if they are protecting those future children from the horrors....does that mean you would rather your parents never had you? Life is not all bad. Do we deny others the chance to exist and experience all the good things, just because there are also bad things?

Just my unfinished thoughts on the topic....

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I was able to help add two compassionate, loving people to the world ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I was able to help add two compassionate, loving people to the world ;)

    ReplyDelete