Monday, March 28, 2011

I don't FEEL like it.


With children, we know that even though they don't feel like eating their veges, brushing their teeth, cleaning their rooms, doing their homework, they still need to because we know that it is good for them.

The problem, as adults we don't always learn the same thing. We are society ruled by feelings. Whether we think we are a hedonist or not, a lot of us unconsciously follow that way of thinking. (The heart is deceitful above all things - Jeremiah 17:9) If it feels good, it is good. If it doesn't feel good, it must not be good. Sure, we may know that we have to go to work, pay taxes, do the housework even if we don't feel like it. But often, deep down, we hold the belief that feelings rule. We just have to look at the state of marriages, the attitudes towards sex and drinking, towards health, food and exercise, to see that so many people are clinging to the roller coaster of feelings.

I know I have definitely let myself be ruled by feelings in my life. So I have done a lot of things that haven't been good for me because, either it felt good at the time so I did it, or it didn't feel good, it didn't seem fun, so I didn't do it. Like when I was trying to learn an instrument, and it was difficult and didn't feel much fun because I couldn't make a good sound straight away, I gave up. Or when I wanted to drink alcohol or go out with guys, I felt like it, so why not?

This is a very worldly attitude. And we're can notice and criticise this attitude when it comes to things like bringing up children (though because of the attitudes of so many adults, this is even being lost for children.) But often not so good when it comes to ourselves.

And especially when it comes to our relationship with God.

We base it on how we feel. We don't feel like praying, like reading our Bibles. Even when we do pray, God doesn't feel like he is there listening. It's all very easy to praise and worship God when we feel like it, when it feels like God has done something for us. But when life isn't so easy, we don't feeling like praising and thanking God. It doesn't feel like he's doing anything good, so I don't feel like praying. I don't FEEL anything. Is God really there?

But has God ever said, "When you can feel me, that's when I'm here" ? No, he says, "I'm here."
Has he said, "When life feels easy, that's when I'm looking out for you."? No, he says, "I will NEVER leave you nor forsake you."

And if we feel like doing something because it feels good now, why should we not do it? Because we know there is more to life than just what is in this earth.  

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21

Even when we don't feel like doing something, when it feels hard or painful, why do we do it? Because like a child eating their vegetables we know God has told us it is good for us, even if it doesn't feel like it. Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him. Proverbs 22:15

We when don't feel like God is near to us, or listening to us, we know he still is. How? Because he said he  always will be.

Feelings are not bad - but we have to recognise them for what they are - subjective and changeable. We should pay attention to our feelings, but not let them have the final say.

If we live letting feelings rule us, life is a roller coaster of emotions. We won't end up being very healthy or stable, and that includes spiritually.

When have you done something that went against your feelings, and been rewarded? Or when have you just followed your feelings and what have been the consequences?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I sometimes get confused though when I'm told, follow your heart. - How can I follow my heart if my feelings are not always right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I sometimes get confused though when I'm told, follow your heart. - How can I follow my heart if my feelings are not always right?

    ReplyDelete